Friday, July 16, 2010

CROCHET SO FINE


This book is another masterpiece by Kristin Omdahl. The focus of her creations this time is on crocheting with fine yarns. She proves that crocheted garment can be light and airy if it is done with a soft and lightweight yarn combined with the choice of a delicate stitch. In her introduction to the book Kristin is talking about her inspiration and is encouraging us to explore some new techniques with her.
The 20 projects in the book are divided between three chapters: Shawls and Wraps, Accessories, and Tops and Cardigans. All of them are light, elegant, contemporary, and wearable. On a personal note, I appreciate the art of stitching of any kind and drawn to new techniques, but am very practical when it comes to making something for me. I do not want to spend the time crocheting a project and not wearing it. When I am looking at Kristin's book, I know I am going to make something that I will wear and enjoy the compliments along the way.
Here is one of the shawls called Dragonfly Shawl with beautiful motifs and a gentle drape.


And a few more. Just enjoy the beauty.














Every project in the book has a great chart that accompanies very nice set of instructions. The layout of the book and photography are done with love and care for featured projects. It is truly a showcase of Kristin's impeccable and creative work.

There are some small but not less beautiful designs which include scarves, hats, neck warmer, and a bag. A lot of technical elements used in a bigger projects are applied for smaller ones. I think it is very clever since some people would attempt to make a small piece and learn the technique before starting a big one.














The final chapter gives us plenty to admire as well. Very flattering shapes, gorgeous colors, lacy or not cardigans, tanks, tops. Here is our chance to learn hairpin lace, motif joining, different edgings, shaping, and various constructions.

What can I say, I did not try to hide my admiration for these designs. Each one of them is different and gives the opportunity to fully enjoy and appreciate a new life of crochet brought to us by designers like Kristin Omdahl. It is an inspirational, interesting, and educational book, which I recommend to anyone who wants to dive into making beautiful crocheted garments and accessories.

No comments:

Post a Comment