Thursday, April 22, 2010

TWISTED WOOLY TOPPERS

If you did not hear about it yet, there is a blog tour going on an now you are a part of it as well. We are on week 6 of this tour. Here is the schedule of the tour if you missed the previous posts.

18 March - Just Call Me Ruby
25 March - Baby Long Legs
1 April - Binge Knitter
8 April - Stolen Stitches
15 April - Knit With KT (me!)
22 April - Faina’s Knitting Mode
29 April - Tot Toppers
6 May - The Independent Stitch
13 May - The BeeBonnet Report
20 May - Knit Circus

I would like to begin with my confession. I love all kinds of hats. Living in a place where winters are really cold forces you to wear hats either you love them or not. You are covered up to keep warm and accessories become very important if you still want to look good. So scarves, hats, and mittens can make a big difference in a way you are dressed. A huge plus in this situation is knowing how to knit. You make a hat that is unique and in the colors that show your eyes in the best possible way and you've got a winner. I love to design hats and admire all wonderful hat designs done by others. That's how one day I stumbled over Strudel. I looked up the designer's name and it was Woolly Wormhead. She has a passion for hats. How do I know that? On her Ravelry page there are 119 designs and they are all hats. If you did not see this page yet, I recommend you do. It is like going to the museum of hats. She comes up with such different shapes and constructions that sometimes you just want to look at it. I mean like in a museum you can stay in one hall and admire a painting or a sculpture for a long time. That how I feel about some of Woolly's creations.
When Woolly asked me to take part in this tour, I knew I would love that. This tour is promoting a new book by Woolly called Twisted Woolly Toppers. It features 10 designs. There is a hat for everybody: men, women, and kids.
Woolly is showing us her inspiration for her designs- Italian architecture. She lives there and it is something she admires and notices. Her hats have cables, nobs, and arches. Make sure to compare these pictures and her hats. You will see that the shapes on these photographs reflect the lines and texture in the hats.









All photos are courtesy of Woolly Wormhead.



I could not help myself and asked Woolly a few questions. Here is what she said:

  • Why do you have such passion for hats?
I've always loved wearing Hats, from my first wool beret as a child through all the different Hats I've owned and worn! They make such a difference to an outfit, can brighten a mood and can really express a personality.
From an artists point of view, they are the ultimate wearable art; I love their sculptural qualities and that I think is my real love. As a knit designer, their potential for mixing techniques and creating short, interesting projects is enormous!
  • What are you looking for when you are designing a new hat?
I can't say I'm looking for anything in particular.. I generally don't start with a stitch pattern but instead start with a form or shape that I'd like to explore, and find a stitch pattern that suits that. Sometimes the yarn inspires me, but more often that not I start with a form in my head and develop from there. My background is in sculptural textiles, so I guess it's natural for me to think this way, to consider it's form first.
  • What are your plans in terms of designing and publishing in the near future?
At the moment, I'm enjoying working through many of the ideas that come into my head for single patterns. Finishing a book is always exhausting, especially when you have self published and covered all the photography and layout yourself, so a break is always a good idea after publication!
  • When did you start knitting and what was your first project?
I was 3 when I was taught to knit by my mum! I can't remember all of my early projects as many of them were what we would call swatches now, but my first finished 'proper' item was an outfit for one of my dolls.

I hope you will get this e-book on Woolly's website and enjoy the designs. Keep traveling with the tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment